9 Ecology Activities and Assessment items including: Human Impact on Ecosystems Inquiry Lab Experiment, Ecology and Ecosystems Task Card Review Game, Bill Nye – Ecology Video Worksheet Collection, Human Impact on Ecosystems Assignment, Water and Carbon Cycle Assignments, Jeopardy – Ecology and Ecosystems Review Game, Creative Story Assignment and my Food Web and Photosynthesis/Respiration Venn Diagram Activities. Save over 65% by purchasing this unit vs. purchasing the resources individually.
Human Impact on Ecosystems Assignment – Collaborative, Inquiry-Based Assessment:
Allow your students to learn through inquiry with this research based, partner assignment. They will study the impact of a factor related to human activity that threatens the sustainability of a terrestrial or aquatic ecosystem in your area. The activity is in word and is fully customization.
Your students will gain research as well as presentations skills and be given a chance to use their own device (smart phone, etc.) in the classroom if you see fit.
This activity can easily be used across many grade levels from upper elementary to early secondary science classes.
Please view the Preview File to obtain a sense of my style, see how my assignment is structured.
Included in the lesson package is:
– A full overview of the task
– 9 topics to choose from
– A full overview of the expectations as well as a complete marking rubric
Jeopardy – Ecology and Ecosystems – Uniquely Different:
Fully linked and ready to use Jeopardy Review Game for the study of Ecology and Ecosystems. The resource is fully customizable so if you want to change a question, no problem. Very easy to use and alter to your preference.
The topics include:
1) The Spheres and Ecosystems
2) Energy Flow in Ecosystems
3) Biotic and Abiotic Influences
4) Ecological Succession and Biomass
5) Biodiversity and Invasive Species
– This review game relates specifically to my Ecology Complete Unit
– Includes 25 questions
– All questions contain 10 second timers to use if you wish
– All hyperlinks meaning that clicking on a price takes you to a question and clicking on the home image within the answer takes you back to the board
– Once a question has been chosen within one game, its colour changes so you know not to pick it again
– Includes a Final Question with built-in timer. Click the timer and watch it count down from 30 seconds.
“Pairs beautifully with the ecosystem powerpoint. Thank-you for all the work that goes into creating top quality products.”
“This was a good find. I was able to use it to enhance an assignment that I was doing for grad school and saved me time. I am getting ready to use it in a few weeks with the kiddos at my school. Thanks for sharing!”
“I like the ease of the links provided.”
“Love the inquiry aspect.”
Bill Nye Video Worksheets (FOUR) – Ecology Worksheet Collection:
FOUR Bill Nye The Science Guy Ecology Video Worksheets (includes the answer key) complete with a YouTube video link for each video.
There are worksheets for the following Bill Nye Videos:
– Food Webs
– The Water Cycle
Human Impact on Ecosystems Inquiry Lab Experiment:
This ecosystems lab allows your students to create and carry out a hands-on, engaging experiment on how humans affect our environment. It utilizes the steps in the scientific method to scaffold learning and allow your students to come to a conclusion based on findings that are tangible.
The lab includes:
– a full task overview with pictures
– a complete description of the lab report components
– instructions that allow you to scaffold your student’s learning
– instructions which allow your kids learn to design an experiment on their own or with some help from you
– a complete rubric marking scheme
Creative Story Assignment:
This assignment requires students to create an imaginative story based around an important morality issue like “Save the Environment”, “Don’t Cut Down The Trees”, etc. It’s incredibly easy to explain and the kids really get into it. It allows for differentiated instruction/assessment as your creative kids are really able to shine and everyone is able to take ownership and pride in their work.
Included in the package is:
– A project overview
– A full marking rubric
– Example topics
Ecology and Ecosystems Task Card REVIEW GAME:
This Ecology Task Card resource is very unique. It can be utilized in a clue gathering, puzzle solving, highly active and engaging activity for those learning about Ecology and Sustainable Ecosystems or as an alternative to worksheet review for older students. What I love to do is have the kids go through the activity for the first half or two-thirds of our review period then spend the remainder of the time reviewing the questions as a class.
Water and Carbon Cycle Diagram Activity:
This package is broken into a water cycle and a carbon cycle assignment. Usually what I do is use the water cycle as a practice run (more formative assessment), then the carbon cycle as graded work but the tasks can be used however you like. Your students will use their varied learning styles to complete this assignment. Those who love art will savor the chance to really get creative and design something fantastic. Others will enjoy the way the task is set out step-wise with easy to follow instructions. Both will create something they can be proud of and at the same time, they will be learning learn about the water and carbon cycle. Great for upper elementary, middle and high school classes. Can easily be adapted for lower elementary by simplifying some wording and reducing the task requirements.
Included in the lesson package is:
– A full overview of both tasks
– A itemized list of all required items
– The water cycle contains a graded checklist for the required components
– The carbon cycle contains two different rubrics depending on the depth you want to go into
– Exemplar student examples for both assignments
Please view the Preview File to obtain a sense of my style, see how my power point lesson is structured and evaluate my work. If you aren’t 100% satisfied with this resource, I will refund your purchase price via PayPal.
Also, please visit my blog Teach With Fergy for my thoughts on teaching, learning and everything in between.